LUHANSK, June 02. /ITAR-TASS/. Negotiations between people’s police of the Luhansk region and the command of a Ukrainian border post located in the territory of the newly-formed Luhansk People’s Republic came to a dead-lock after a 30 minute truce, a spokesman for the Luhansk People’s Republic told ITAR-TASS on Monday.
According to Ukraine’s border service, 100 armed men surrounded the border post early on Monday morning. The first 40-minute attack with the use of submachine-guns and under-barrel grenades started at around 04:00 (05:00) Moscow time. Ukraine’s border guard service also said that the number of armed men around the border post’s territory had increased to 500 by midday on Monday. It also reports that fighting resumed at 15:30 Moscow after a 30-minute truce.
“We suggested that the border guards living in the territory of the Luhansk People’s Republic leave their units peacefully and go home. The police wanted to settle the situation peacefully. However, the border post’s command has rejected our terms. We believe that this approach is inhumane,” the spokesman for the Luhansk People’s Republic went on to say.
All the wounded were evacuated from the border post’s territory during the 30-minute truce.
The spokesman for the Luhansk People’s Republic told Itar-Tass that no casualties from the militia’s side had so far been reported.