MOSCOW, December 10 (Itar-Tass) — Russia’s Defence Ministry has recreated the Main Combat Training Directorate (GUBP), one of the main tasks of which will be raising combat effectiveness of multi-service force groupings, First Deputy Defence Minister Colonel-General Arkady Bakhin told journalists on Monday.
Earlier, Commander-in-Chief of the Ground Forces, Colonel-General Vladimir Chirkin announced the intention of the ministry’s leadership to re-establish the GUBP, which would be subordinate to the first deputy defence minister. The GUBP was disbanded in 2010. This decision was explained then by the need to transfer the main functions of troops’ command and control within the framework of the RF Armed Forces reform directly to the General Staff.
“In order to coordinate the activities of the military authorities in the sphere of comprehensive training of troops the GUBP of the Russian Armed Forces was re-established. This will primarily improve combat capability of the multi-service force groupings and improve the existing regulatory framework regulating the organisation of combat training,” Bakhin said.
According to him, the GUBP will unite efforts of the branches and corps of the armed forces for raising combat effectiveness of the RF Army and Navy. “Earlier, all branches and corps of the Armed Forces were independent in this sense, there was no single coordinating structure as such. Now the task to create such a structure is a priority, and I am charged with the task to supervise this ··work,” he said.
He also drew attention to the fact that under the state order the troops will soon be receiving a large amount of modern weapons and military equipment. “This will require from the military servicemen their studying and mastering within the shortest time possible for their further efficient operation and use of all the possibilities of the weapons and military equipment in case of their use for the intended purpose,” Bakhin said.
The post of the GUBP head is so far vacant. “The candidates for the position are currently being considered. We have proposals concerning several candidates, and the defence minister is currently considering them,” the first deputy defence minister said.